Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Traffic Cases

Q. I got a traffic ticket. Where do I go?
A. The name and address of the court is listed on the ticket with the date and time that the case will be heard in court.

Q. What will happen if I do nothing about the ticket?
A. A warrant can be issued for your arrest and your license can be suspended.

Q. What happens if I plead guilty?
A. A fine and mandatory surcharge can happen. Also, if the charge is a moving violation like speeding, red light, or stop sign, points will attach to the driver's license that can make the driver's auto insurance rates higher. Certain traffic infractions can result in a jail sentence of up to 15 days.

Q. What happens if I plead not guilty?
A. Your case will be scheduled for trial. You can decide to change your plea later. You can try to work out an arranged sentence with the prosecutor, and find out if the court will agree to the arrangement.

Q. What is a supporting deposition?
A. A supporting deposition is a document that has information about why the ticket was given, the time and location of the stop, and other information about what happened. If you want to see that document, you can check the box on the ticket for this.

Q. Why can't the court accept my insurance card as proof of insurance of my vehicle?
A. You can still have an insurance card after your insurance has been canceled. That is why an original letter from the insurance company or agent is required.

Q. Do I need a license to attend driver's improvement school?
A. Yes.

Q. My license was suspended. How do I get it back?
A. After getting written permission from the judge who made the decision, an application can be made to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Final approval is with the DMV.

Q. I was charged with DWI and my license was taken away. My case was then dismissed but the DMV won't give me back my license. What do I do?
A. The final determination about giving back the license is with DMV.

Figeroux & Associates
26 Court Street, Suite 701
Brooklyn, NY 11242
Phone: 718-834-0190
Fax: 718-222-3153


  1. If the final determination is with the DMV & someone's case was dismissed and the DMV refuses to give that person back their license. Does this mean that the person can no longer legally drive...anywhere?

    Will they ever get their license back?

    Safiya S.

  2. A driver license is a privilege not a right. A driver license is not "owned" by the person whose name appears on the front of it. When a person has that privilege revoked, it is up the the issuer (the State that issued the license) to determine whether the violator can have the privilege restored. "Ever" is a long time.